Check out what’s
Common Name: Paper Birch
Scientific Name: Betula papyrifera
Location: Main Park, near lower play area. Five trees in a row.
Native to: Northern and Northeastern U.S.
This tree typically grows to: 50-70 feet tall and 25-50 feet wide
This tree prefers these conditions: Medium to wet soil; part shade; temperatures not exceeding 75 degrees.
Special about this tree:
- Name comes from the tree’s peeling white bark
- Yellow fall color
- Seed takes form of catkin
- Mostly resistant to deer browse
- Often multi-stemmed
- Mt. Lebanon’s warm summers and increasingly warm winters place our location on the far southern reaches of this tree’s range
- Species is recently susceptible to the bronze birch borer