Mt. Lebanon street during fall with trees with orange red and yellow leaves, leaves on the ground, three people walking on the sidewalk

Frequently Asked Questions

We collected some of your most frequent questions and put them here for easy reference. You’ll also find them linked on the pages that pertain to each subject.

Fire Department

Show All Answers
A hot work permit is required to do any work with an open flame in a commercial building.

Download Fire Watch Procedures
YOU MAY NEED A MUNICIPAL BUILDING PERMIT. Contact the Mt. Lebanon Inspections office at 412-343-3400. The Mt. Lebanon Fire Department performs plans reviews and acceptance testing of fire and life safety systems in Mt. Lebanon. The fire prevention office will review the plans and return them within 30 days of receipt. You must fill out a construction permit and submit two sets of plans, cut sheets and any calculations done for:

  • Automatic extinguishing systems (Commercial Cooking Hood)

  • Commercial cooking hoods

  • Fire alarm systems

  • Fire pumps and related equipment

  • Flammable and combustible liquids production/dispensing

  • Hazardous materials production/dispensing

  • Industrial ovens

  • Life safety systems (Exit lights, emergency lights, fire extinguishers)

  • Private fire hydrants

  • Spraying/dipping operations

  • Sprinklers systems

  • Standpipe systems

  • Temporary membrane structures (tents)


Although the Mt. Lebanon Fire Department understands the importance of special occasions, the 2015 International Fire Code does not permit the release of sky lanterns unless they are tethered, due to the risk of landing on a roof and causing a significant fire.
Our municipal code requires a Knox Box® system to retain keys to buildings that have a fire protection system (fire alarm, sprinklers, etc.) If you have a key box on your building the fire department will need to get keys for common areas of your building.

Visit The Knox Box Store web site for Mt. Lebanon
No. The fire code specifically prohibits the use of any open flame grill on a patio or deck of an apartment building. For apartment buildings, the open flame grill must be 15 feet from the building and any other combustible materials.
In 2014 the Mt. Lebanon Commission amended the Fire Code to require vendors that test or inspect any fire or life safety systems in Mt. Lebanon to upload the inspection report to the Compliance Engine®.  The compliance engine automatically tracks and send out notices when systems are 30 days from being due for testing/inspection and when the system is out of current inspection. It is the responsibility of the vendor to upload the report but it is your responsibility to ensure that the vendor uploaded the report.

Systems that are tracked by the Compliance Engine® are:

  • Fire alarm systems

  • Sprinkler systems and five-year obstruction inspections

  • Fire Pumps

  • Smoke Control Systems

  • Standpipe hydrostatic tests

  • Commercial Kitchen Hood Cleaning

  • Commercial Kitchen Hood Suppression Systems

  • Fire escapes

  • Emergency Generator Inspections

Visit The Compliance Engine web site
The Mt. Lebanon Fire Department has a comprehensive fire inspection program to protect your investment and ensure the safety of your customers or tenants. The fire department has three types of inspections, depending on the type of building and business. If you have questions about your scheduled inspection, please call fire prevention at 412-343-3402.

  • Annual inspections — Any property that is issued an operational permit other than an alarm permit receives an annual inspection. These include, but are not limited to, churches, schools, restaurants and properties having any additional hazards.

  • Bi-annual inspections — Any apartment building containing three or more apartments receive a bi-annual inspection.

  • General inspection — Any business that does not receive and annual inspection receives a general inspection every three years

Download the Self-Inspection Form
Hazardous waste reuse, recycling, and reclamation can avoid environmental hazards, protect scarce natural resources, reduce the nation’s reliance on raw materials and energy and provide economic benefits.

Please visit our Household Hazardous Waste page to learn how to recycle household hazardous waste.
Recreational fires, controlled in a safe manner, can be a fun way to enjoy an evening or entertain guests. Follow the link to see the Allegheny County and Mt. Lebanon requirements on recreational fires. If your fire does not meet these regulations, a fire official may order you to extinguish it.

Guidance on Outdoor fires
Burglar and fire alarms installed and monitored inside commercial buildings or private residences are required to have a private alarm permit, in order for us to have up-to-date records and contacts for the property in the event of an emergency. We bill a nominal fee each January. The fee is set annually by the Mt. Lebanon Commission. Please submit the private alarm permit application and contact form below and we will send you an invoice.

Private Alarm Permit Application & Contact form
Burglar and fire alarms installed and monitored inside commercial buildings or private residences are required to have a private alarm permit. If you are receiving this bill, the fire department or police department most likely responded to an automatic alarm at your property and we did not have a private alarm permit on file.

Pay online


Show All Answers
The public works department receives a high volume of calls from property owners requesting different types of services related to the maintenance of municipal trees. On average, at least 500 requests are submitted to the department every year for some type of tree maintenance issue and the vast majority of requests are for pruning trees. Certain trees can only be safely pruned during specific times of the year, limiting the window that work can be completed. For example, oak trees should only be pruned when they are dormant. This practice reduces the chance of contracting oak wilt disease. Due to these limitations, oak trees that require pruning may not be serviced for at least a year or even two depending on when the request is submitted. Requests also vary widely in the amount of time that they take to complete. If a request is submitted to trim a tree or trees in front of a property, one property may have one or two smaller trees that can be pruned in a few hours while other areas of the municipality have several mature trees along the property which may take an entire day or multiple days to complete. This variance in time required plays a role in scheduling and completing the service request for each property.
The municipality has started using a GIS system to plan maintenance activities associated with municipal trees. By clicking here, you can view a map of the municipality along with symbols that designate all current active forestry – related requests in our work order database. You can navigate to your property and click on the symbol that represents the request that you submitted. Take note of the service request ID number that will be displayed in the pop – up box that appears. You can then click on the attribute table button located on the lower right corner of your display. This will open a table that lists all active requests in all categories on the map. You can then left click on the top of the column named “date of request” and sort the list  ascending by date. You can scroll down to find your request based on the service request ID number. This will give you a general idea of how many requests have been submitted before your request. The data points that are displayed on the map are updated as requests are completed. Work requests that have been resolved will no longer be visible on the map.
Requests can be submitted by calling the public works main office at 412-343-3403 or online at mylebo. If you call outside of regular business hours and leave a message, please make sure to state your name, address, contact number and as much detail as you can provide regarding the reason for your request. If you previously submitted a request that is still active and something has changed or presents a hazard, please call the number listed above to amend your existing request. Someone will visit the tree to assess the risk and based on that evaluation, the forester will determine if the issue must be addressed more quickly. Please do not call for a service multiple times or overstate some type of concern that you may have with a tree. Every call is taken seriously so someone does check the issue as it is reported. Repeated calls or overstating an issue does not get the work completed any faster, it just uses time and resources that could be better used to complete other work that is already scheduled. This leads to less efficiency and a larger backlog of requests.
The goal of the forestry division is to complete every service request as quickly as possible. Determining when a particular request will be completed is somewhat complicated and to some extent, not always possible. We make every attempt to complete the requests as they have been submitted chronologically.  However, since some requests can only be completed at certain times of the year, they may be completed after more recent requests. We also analyze each request as it is submitted to determine if individual requests should be handled as a priority due to safety concerns. There may be times when a request is completed the same day that it is received based on these evaluations. A complete list of each outstanding service request is maintained as part of our work order database. This list is evaluated on a daily basis based on the factors previously listed, and work is scheduled based on the current list of requests.
This varies depending on the species and age of a particular tree. The growth rate of an oak tree is slow so maintenance pruning may not be needed for up to ten years after an oak is pruned. Other trees which have a faster growth rate, such as maple trees, must be pruned more frequently.
Most trees planted within the street right – of – way are municipal street trees. The most common width of the street right – of – way is 50 feet. The edge of the street right – of – way will be 25 feet from the center of the street. The municipality does not maintain any evergreen trees along municipal streets. Even if a tree is located within the street right of way, it may not be a municipal tree. If a tree was not planted by the municipality, it is not maintained by the forestry department. Trees and vegetation planted on rear easements, utility right – of – ways and along paper or unopened streets are also considered private and not maintained by the municipality. If you are in doubt as to the ownership of a tree, you can call the public works office at 412-343-3403.
The municipality does permit property owners to hire a professional tree service to prune or trim trees. The property owner or tree service must contact the public works office and submit an application for a tree trimming permit. There is no charge for this permit, but the tree service must adhere to municipal pruning standards while providing the service. The trimming service will be instructed on how the tree should be pruned to preserve the health and safety of the tree. Removal of any municipal tree is not permitted without the consent of the public works department. Our main goal is to maintain a mature stand of municipal street trees along municipal streets.
It is the policy of the public works department to replace every tree that is removed unless there is a conflict with a utility, concern with visual obstructions, or space limitations due to other plants or trees in close proximity to the planting site.
Make sure that you stay a safe distance from the fallen limb or tree and call 911 to report the issue. There may be energized lines involved which do not always generate sparks or a fire. The Mt. Lebanon Fire Department has the resources to determine if the area is safe for access. After an initial assessment of the situation, the fire department will determine if the power company or the public works department needs to be called to remove the limb or tree that has fallen.


Show All Answers
LeboEmergency, powered by CodeRED is an alert system that will send news and instructions during life-threatening emergencies to everyone in our database. When you enroll, you can add your cellphone number to the database and select to receive text messages, phone calls and emails on the go. You also can add landlines to receive phone calls and TTY messages. Your phone number that you registered with your water bill is automatically in the database, so even if you do not sign up, we will be able to reach you at that number in a life-threatening emergency, to give you instructions that may save you or your family.
The program is strictly for life-threatening emergencies, such as active shooter situations, gas leaks, evacuations, chemical leaks, natural disasters, fragile missing persons, etc. If you wish to receive non-emergency alerts about such things are road closures, cancellations due to inclement weather and crime alerts, subscribe to LeboALERT.
No. The software allows emergency management staff to send messages to all subscribers or to just the people who are close to the danger. That way, you are not bothered by situations that would not likely affect you.
When you sign up, you will be asked for your home address. Targeted notices will be sent to your contact preferences if you life in an affected area. You also can choose to download the CodeRED app, and you will receive emergency alerts if you are physically located near the incident, as long as you have location services enabled on your phone.
It is free to enroll, however, refer to your cellphone plan to see if your plan charges for text messages.
Nothing. We will never sell or give away any of your information and you will never receive spam or advertisements of any kind.
All LeboEmergency notifications will include a follow-up message to let you know the situation has concluded.
No. We think it will also be helpful for people who work in Mt. Lebanon or own businesses or property here. If you have family in a senior care facility or children in preschool or daycare here, you may also want access to these alerts.


Show All Answers
No, Mt. Lebanon does not have a 311 service. But to submit a service request, complaint or other notification, you may use myLebo.
Employment opportunities are listed on our human resources page.
In order to control loading in the sanitary sewer, the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) requires each local government to adopt a corrective action plan. One of the requirements of the plan is to reduce overloads to the sanitary sewer by removing rain, or storm water, from the lines.
Municipal logos, marks and other copyrighted materials may not be reproduced in any form without written permission from the municipal manager or the public information officer. Call (412) 343-3407 for information.

Overnight Parking

Show All Answers
This prohibition, which has been in effect for decades, addresses both public safety and public works concerns. With no cars on the street at night, it is easier for patrol officers to determine if a parked vehicle might pose a threat to residents. Streets free of parked cars at night also allow fire, police and medical rescue teams to respond more quickly. If it snows, public works is able to plow during the night without damaging or blocking in vehicles, ensuring everyone can get to work or school in the morning. Also, it prevents people from dumping inoperable cars on the road, where they become junk and permanently block access.
Overnight parking is intended to be used infrequently and for a good reason—out of town company, for example, or the need for a temporary overnight guest. Since the municipality permitted the option of online requests several years ago, the number of nightly requests has jumped from 60 per night to more than 300 per night. This is time-consuming for patrol officers, who have other public safety duties to attend to. Mt. Lebanon streets were designed for travel, not for extended parking.
The new ordinance permits 20 overnight parking permissions per year per license plate. The Commission selected 20 because 93 percent of the requestors asked for 20 or fewer permissions per year. Residents will make requests online as usual at MyLebo. If a license plate has exceeded its 20 permissions for the year, the request will not be approved. As always, there will be no overnight onstreet parking permitted if there is an inch or more of snow or ice in the forecast.
Research has shown that many residents with access to off-street parking where they live or who are eligible to purchase overnight permits in convenient municipal lots, garages and zones are abusing the system. Rather than
utilizing the off-street options available to them, these residents are making requests on a nightly basis to park their cars on the street.
A police officer will issue a traffic citation. The cost of the ticket is $25.
In the case of infrastructure repair, an exception would automatically be made, and the letter explaining the project would state that. Other requests for exceptions would be handled on an individual basis.
The ordinance includes two options: Permit Parking Zones and Special Permit Parking Spaces:

Permit Parking Zones

In areas where there is no public parking and no suitable off-street parking option within 1/10 of a mile, residents can apply for Permit Parking Zones on streets or
portions of streets recommended by the parking enforcement supervisor and approved by the Municipal manager. Such a permit allows a vehicle to be parked overnight from 6 p.m. to 9 a.m., except when an inch or more of snow and ice is expected. But in order for a street or portion of a street to be considered for the zone, a majority of owners of the property abutting the zone and directly across the street must agree to it. That step is necessary because the zone can have potential negative impact on the neighborhood; for example, only permitted cars may be parked in the zone between 6 p.m. and 9 a.m. Before considering a street for permit zones, the manager will consider whether there are any other parking options, including the availability of nearby public parking, the width of the street and other logistical concerns.
To qualify to use permit parking areas, the resident/owner of a vehicle shall apply for a permit with proof of residency. The permit will allow that person to park within 1/10 a mile from the residence for a cost of $150 semi-annually ($300 a year).

Special Permit Parking Spaces

If certain conditions are met, a Special Permit Space may be established for Single or Two-Family dwellings. Residents can apply to the parking enforcement supervisor for Special Permit Parking Spaces (up to two vehicle license plates per dwelling) when it’s impossible to park off street without substantial financial cost or when a good reason exists. This permit also costs $150 semi-annually ($300 for a year) and will allow parking between the hours of 6 p.m. and 9 a.m. Special Permit Parking Spaces will not be authorized for more than one year, although a requestor can reapply for a permit when the time has expired. The manager or the manager’s designee will review all requests for approval. As with the Permit Parking Zones, this permit will not allow cars to be parked on the street during snow and ice events

Residents may purchase parking passes in several municipal surface lots and zones, as well as in the North and South parking garages. Day, 24-hour and night permits are available.
Good reasons include (but are not limited to): The situation is expected to last more than 20 days, the reason for the request is beyond the control of the requestor and off-street/alternative parking isn’t available. “Not good” reasons include: Too many vehicles, vehicle is too large for existing space, drivers don’t want to rearrange cars, off-street/alternative parking is available but is not convenient or costs money.
What are some examples of how this ordinance will be applied?

Example 1: A driver lives ½ mile from a public garage or public parking lot. The driver may still qualify for a Special Permit Parking Space. (If the resident lived 1/10 of a mile away, those
public spaces would be considered a reasonably available alternative.)

Example 2: A driver can park one vehicle off street, but doesn’t have room for two. If all other requirements are met, the driver would qualify for one Special Permit Parking Space, but not

Example 3: The driver has a garage but their large SUV doesn’t fit. Since this reason is not beyond the control of the driver, the garage will be considered available parking.

Example 4: A driver who lives in an area with a nearby Permit Parking Zone would prefer to have a Special Permit Parking space in front of their house instead of the using the Zone. Since this reason is not beyond the control of the driver, the Permit Parking Zone would be considered available parking.

Example 5: A Permit Parking Zone is large enough that if all the spaces closest to the driver’s home are taken, the walk from available spaces to home is more than 1/10th of a mile. This will not qualify for a Special Permit Parking Space.

Example 6: A driver works late at night and doesn’t wish to move or arrange vehicles late at night or early in the morning. This is not a reason beyond the control of the driver and does not support a Special Permit Parking Space.

Example 7: The applicant has a onstreet permit but receives a citation or is towed while parking during a snow event. Those municipal actions are proper as nothing in this ordinance supersedes other relevant ordinances and restrictions.

Example 8: During the day, vehicles are parked in the Special Permit Parking Space such that there is no space for driver to park. No relief is available to the applicant. The Special Permit Parking Space is not a reserved space; it only authorizes on street parking between 6 p.m. and 9 a.m.

Example 9: A Special Permit Parking Space has been established, but later, several residents on the street apply for Special Permit Parking Spaces. The manager is rightly permitted to establish a Permit Parking Zone and require overnight parking use in accordance with those requirements.

Example 10: A driver lives next to a public parking facility but there are no available permits. That facility would not be considered available parking.

Example 11: A permit-holder sells his or her residence and wants to transfer the permit along with the property. This is not permitted. A permit is not property, grants no vested rights and is not transferable. The new owner must apply for the permit, the issuance of which is not guaranteed.

Example 12: The Ordinance or other rules and regulations change, and a permit holder objects and wishes to be considered grandfathered in the old rules. This treatment is not available. There are no rights to the continuation of a permit, a Special Permit Parking Space, or a Permit Parking Zone, all of which are subject to change

You can request special permission to park on the street during overnight hours (2 to 6 a.m.) on myLebo.

Pets FAQs

Show All Answers
No dogs are allowed in most municipal parks. Dogs are allowed in Bird Park, Robb Hollow Park and Twin Hills Park, but they must be on leash and be wearing a collar.
Municipal Code Chapter III part 10 section 1001 states that a resident may be cited for a dog that barks for more than 15 minutes, provided there has been a previous warning issued to the owner and the barking is not a result of someone trespassing on the owner’s property. It is preferable that residents try to establish good communication with each other to alleviate conflicts, but if the situation becomes a nuisance, residents may summon police to this non-emergency by calling 911.
All dog owners are obligated to have their pets licensed and inoculated with required shots.
The County Treasurer is tasked with issuing licenses to dogs older than 3 months. The license is renewable annually on the County Treasurer Web site.
Calling 911 will bring the appropriate responders to the scene of a complaint in Mt. Lebanon. The officers will assess the situation and take appropriate action, which may include referral to the local humane officer.
Call 911, and officers will respond to capture the animal if possible.

Here are some strategies that could keep an aggressive dog from attacking you:

  • Try commanding the dog to “sit,” or “stay.” This could give you time to think or even get away.

  • Do not make any sudden movements. Rather, keep your hands down at your sides. This may serve to calm the dog down and show that you are not a threat.

  • Do not turn your back on the dog. Canines often take that as a sign of weakness or an opening to attack. Further, do not run away! That will probably only cause the dog to come after you.

  • Don’t smile. Bared teeth may signify aggression to a dog. Back away slowly once the dog stops paying attention to you.

  • If the dog does attack and the wound is serious, call 911. Dispatchers will send appropriate responders to take a “Bite” report. The officers will assure the offending dog is licensed properly and has current shots. They will also issue a quarantine to the dog owner to ensure the animal is controlled and monitored for infectious diseases.

The number for Animal Control is 911. The line is answered by Allegheny County 911, but they dispatch Animal Control to Mt. Lebanon calls.
The State dog law mandates that owners have control over their dogs at all times. The best way to establish control is with a leash. Animal Control Officers are tasked with enforcing most calls for dogs at large. You can summon the officers by calling 911.

Police Department

Show All Answers
An officer can install and inspect your child seat. For information or to set up an appointment, call 412-343-4068.
Fingerprinting information is available here.
You can fill out a request form at the police department Record’s desk, 3rd floor lobby of the Public Safety Building or call 412-343-4143, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. There is a $15.00 cost for most reports. A subpoena is required for reports where an arrest has been made. Under no circumstances will a juvenile’s information be released.
You can request special permission to park on the street during overnight hours (2 to 6 a.m.) on myLebo.
You can come to the rear entrance of the Public Safety Building to complete and submit an application for a solicitor’s permit.
You can come to the rear entrance of the Public Safety Building to complete and submit an application for a solicitor’s permit.
You can go to the Pennsylvania State Police Website. Click on Megan’s Law Website under the heading of PSP Services. Those who are required to register as a sexual offender, must do so through the Pennsylvania State Police.
You can come to the rear entrance of the Public Safety Building to complete and submit a vacation card.  This card should include an emergency person / phone number to contact in the event of an issue at your residence while you are away.
If you belong to a group and would like a tour of the police department and Public Safety Building, you can call the Crime Prevention Unit, 412-343-4068, to schedule the tour. Tours last about 40 minutes. You can also arrange for a tour with the fire department to coincide with the police department tour.
Mt. Lebanon recently made it easier for you to pay or appeal parking tickets of any type. The new system is more efficient and gives residents better access to due process. If you wish to appeal the ticket, you may do so online at or by calling 412-343-3705. If you lose your appeal, you do have further recourse.
Be sure to completely review all of the instructions listed on the lower or back portion of your copy of the traffic citation. Specific instructions are listed for how to respond to the citation. For questions, please call District Judge’s office at 412-561-4415 or visit the court located at 680 Washington Road, Suite B-103, Pittsburgh, PA, 15228. Hearing requests or payments for traffic citations will not be accepted at the police station or the municipal building.
To report a crime, dial 9-1-1 from your phone, and advise the dispatcher of what is occurring. They may give you specific instructions to follow to keep yourself safe, or will advise of police response and where to meet them.
Call 9-1-1 whenever you need to see or speak to a police officer. MLPD no longer utilizes a “non-emergency” phone number for contact with our officers. MLPD does not have the luxury of having an officer by a phone at the police station at all times. For several years, our community has relied on the Allegheny County 9-1-1 call center to answer our requests for service, triage & prioritize these calls and dispatch our officers appropriately. Even if you would only like to speak to an officer by phone, call 9-1-1 to initiate contact. The call taker will record your information and an officer will be contacted to return your call. Please never hesitate to call 9-1-1. MLPD would rather be called to investigate without delay, then find out after the fact that a crime has already occurred and the actors are no longer on scene.
In the case of infrastructure repair, an exception would automatically be made, and the letter explaining the project would state that. Other requests for exceptions would be handled on an individual basis.
A police officer will issue a traffic citation. The cost of the ticket is $25.

Snow and Ice

Show All Answers
We wish we had enough snowplows and drivers to take care of every street right away, but our resources are limited and so we must adhere to a carefully laid out system for clearing the streets. If we allowed our plows to be diverted each time a special request was made, our system would be destroyed and it would take far longer to get all the streets in the municipality cleared. To keep our snow removal operations as effective and efficient as possible, plows are not permitted to deviate from their assigned routes. Highways and arterial streets have first priority for snow plowing, and then collectors and then the remainder of the streets are then plowed.
Under ideal circumstances, we can predict fairly accurately when we will have streets in various sections of Mt. Lebanon plowed. As weather conditions change we often must alter our snow-fighting strategy in the midst of the snow removal operations in order to control drifting snow, ice or other special problems. We cannot give you an estimate of when your street will be cleared due to ever-changing weather conditions.
Each snowplow has an assigned route. If the trucks spread salt on their way to their destination, then they wouldn’t have enough to spread along their own route. Plowing along the way would mean it would be just that much longer until the truck reached its assigned route.
The varying sizes of cul-de-sacs present plowing problems ranging from difficult to impossible. A plow can easily cut an 11-foot path through the snow on a straight road surface, but trying to plow and turn the blade in a small circle in a cul-de-sac is very difficult.
We wish we could comply with all requests, but equipment and manpower limitations do not permit us to deviate from our predetermined snow plowing system.
Different types of storms require the use of different snow-fighting techniques. The decision whether to salt or plow depends upon the expected weather conditions. For example, if the temperature is below 18 degrees and not expected to rise, salt will not be effective. But if the sun is shining and the temperature is 20 degrees or more and expected to remain steady or to rise, then salt would be more effective. The decision whether to plow or salt is made with great consideration and based on the latest weather information available. Plowing under the wrong conditions can create a polished street surface, resulting in dangerous glare ice. The decisions made by an experienced crew and supervisory personnel are critical.
There are three reasons why you might see plows on the streets on snowless days. One is that every driver undergoes pre-season training. Skills must be sharpened and routes need to be learned and relearned. The second reason
is that the trucks may be scanning for secondary cleaning (cleaning the streets where vehicles were parked during the plowing of the streets). The third reason is that the trucks can be salting ice condition areas that are out of their view, or other problem areas.
Our telephone lines are understandably jammed during severe weather conditions. We advise limiting your travel, or staying off the roads entirely if possible. Listen to television and radio bulletins about road conditions and check in with social media sites such as Twitter or apps such as Waze or Google Maps. Remember that we can only provide information about streets within the municipal limits. Our phone lines should be used primarily to alert us if a street has been missed or if there is some special problem relating to the snow removal operations. If you need to contact our department, please call 412-343-3403 or 911 if the issue is an emergency.

Stormwater Discharge Maintenance

Show All Answers
If the discharge is not causing a buildup of ice in the public right-of-way, including the sidewalk or street, or is NOT adversely impacting an abutting property, nothing is required. Otherwise, its discharge must be addressed by doing one of the following:

  • Direct the discharge to a municipal storm sewer system that can accommodate the flow from the sump or pipe.

  • Move the discharge to another point on the owner’s property where the discharge can be dissipated without issue.

  • Move the discharge to a point 10 feet from the property/street right-of-way line.

The property owner operating the sump or pipe.
Since discharges into the street are not allowed, for cases where there may be no other choice, the municipal engineer or his designee may permit an exception when it can be proven through documentation that the discharge will not be a nuisance.
The discharge of the pipe or sump may be handled in several different ways. It may be directed onto the ground surface at a minimum of 10 feet from any property/street right of way line and in a manner that is approved by the municipal engineer. It may also go directly into a storm sewer conveyance system with adequate capacity to convey the discharge. If neither method is available, the discharge can be made in a location approved by the municipal engineer.
The discharge must not cause a nuisance such as street icing or erosion.