Check out what’s
Common Name: Japanese Zelkova
Scientific Name: Zelkova serrata
Location: Traffic island at intersection of Beadling Road and Cedar Boulevard
Size: Diameter 17 inches at breast height
Native to: Japan, Korean Pensinsula, China, Taiwan
This tree typically grows to: 50-75 feet tall and 50 feet wide
This tree prefers these conditions: Sun, part shade
Special about this tree:
- Multiple branches split off of main trunk at about 76″ off of ground into a strong V-shaped form
- Distinctive, peeling bark reveals rusty red inner bark as trees age
- The bark begins to split and peel vertically in clusters at the growth joint between branch crotches.
- Leaf dimensions: 1 1/4″ wide x 3 5/8″ long average.
- Flowers insignificant in spring
- Beautiful fall color, in yellow to orange to rust red.