The Mt. Lebanon Department of Public Works will maintain and enhance the quality of life for residents through responsive, efficient and effective delivery of services to every neighborhood and by reflecting a can-do attitude with our customers and stakeholders.
- Constantly pursue and implement new and innovative methods of service delivery
- Ensures that public works services are delivered in a timely, efficient and cost-effective manner
- Work with the manager and Commission to set public works priorities and goals for the community
With 24 full-time employees and some contracted services, the Public Works Department takes pride in:
- All Sanitary and Storm Sewer Systems Issues
- General Maintenance of Municipal Buildings
- Maintaining the community’s physical plant—buildings, streets, sidewalks, sewers, trees
- Municipal Forestry Program
- Refuse Collection and Recycling Services
- Snow Removal and Street Sweeping
- Street and Sidewalk Improvements
- Using up to date equipment and providing its employees with ongoing training in the newest and best methodologies for this region
Parks & Community Events
Working closely with the Recreation Department, Public Works also maintains municipal parks and playgrounds and provides set up and clean up services for many community special events.
The Inspection Office also oversees enforcement of the ordinance adopted by the municipality to prevent overloading of sanitary sewers. The connection of storm water to a sanitary sewer is not permitted. Regulations controlling this matter are issued by The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), The Allegheny County Health Department (County Plumbing Code) and Mt. Lebanon, as part of the Mt. Lebanon Code Ordinances.
Corrective Action Plan
In order to control overloading the sanitary sewer, the DEP requires each local government to adopt a corrective action plan. One of the requirements of the plan is to reduce overloads to the sanitary sewer by removing rain, or storm water, from the lines. The purpose of dye testing is that property owners can correct the situation and bring their property into compliance. The Public Works Department will provide counseling to the property owner in the most efficient way to correct the problem.